As part of the Moving Words project, ACMS is offering two scholarships to students accepted for an MA in Migration and Displacement at the University of the Witwatersrand in 2019.
Moving Words is a transdisciplinary creative research project that aims to deepen our understanding of the ‘inclusive city’ from a creative, comparative perspective. It explores the uses of poetry as both a method of inquiry and a research communication strategy, specifically its potential to centre participant voices and produce outputs that reach audiences beyond the academy. For further details on the project, please contact Duduzile Ndlovu:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each scholarship will be to the value of ZAR 100,000 and will run for twelve months, from 1 March 2019 to 28 February 2020.
Deliverables will be determined on an individual basis, but may include:
- Participation in regular supervision sessions and reading groups
- Completion of a MA thesis, submitted February 2020
- Supporting the Moving Words project (eight hours per week) – for example, organising workshops, undertaking desktop research and supporting with social media data mining and analysis
- Monthly timesheets outlining all work completed.
- Accepted for an MA in migration and displacement
- South African students from previously disadvantaged groups are particularly encouraged to apply
- Applicants holding funding from other sources are not eligible to apply
Applications will be assessed by a committee at the ACMS. Considerations will include demonstrated academic performance, research interests and financial need.
To apply, or for further information regarding the application process, please contact Naledi Mazibuko: email@example.com.
Applications must include the following:
- A recent CV
- A cover letter that outlines previous academic performance, indicates research interests aligned with the project and demonstrates financial need
- A letter of recommendation from a previous work supervisor or lecturer.