The African Centre for Migration & Society is seeking a researcher to join a team undertaking desktop research and fieldwork on the roles that brokers play in migrant journeys and employment. More specifically, this study will explore the complex migration journeys and employment recruitment experiences of two groups of transnational migrant workers in the city of Johannesburg: Ethiopian entrepreneurs and Zimbabwean domestic workers. This call is for a researcher to explore the latter. Both Shona-speaking and Ndebele-speaking domestic workers will be interviewed during the study. The study will include in-depth literature review and development of conceptual framing and issues and fieldwork focused on face-to-face interviews with a select number of Zimbabwean domestic workers in Johannesburg. It will furthermore include analysis and report writing. The research commences in March 2018 and will be concluded in November 2018.
Researcher roles and requirements
The researcher will be expected to conduct a literature review and prepare a report; prepare for and conduct fieldwork including stakeholder scoping.
Applicants should have:
- Completed relevant post-graduate training or have substantial practical experience; Those with MA or higher qualification in migration studies, anthropology, sociology, urban/development studies or related field are particularly encouraged to apply;
- Experience in desktop and in long form interview research;
- Proficiency in Shona and Ndebele;
- South African citizenship or the legal right to work in South Africa;
Applications are due midnight, 7 March 2018. Selections will be completed by 20 March 2018 with successful candidates expected to commence research on 26 March 2018. To apply, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A cover letter outlining your interests and qualifications including past experience, relevant research experience you have and suitability to this research job, and current occupation/studies.
- A complete academic CV;
- Three pieces of your recent writing;
Applicants should be available to be interviewed during the week of 12-16 March 2018. Further enquiries can be directed to Kabiri Bule at email@example.com.